A Non-Governmental Organization in Formal Consultative Relations with UNESCO
The ICTM Study Group on Music and Gender seeks to promote the growth of insight and understanding of gender as a critical factor in social interaction and thereby contribute meaningful theoretical dimensions to any study of musical culture.
Objectives (adopted at its second meeting at the Freie Universität in West Berlin on July 27-29, 1987):
A gender balanced view of musical and dance activities is required since our work produces documents which in the future will be a source for historians and other scholars. Towards this end, we will:
1. Encourage understanding of gender in terms of the roles it plays in societies.
2. Stimulate critical evaluation of gender roles within our discipline.
3. Identify basic lacunae in the areas of music and dance cross-culturally.
4. Expand the methodological and theoretical bases for data collection and provide a forum for the presentation and interpretation of new material.
5. Publish and disseminate research findings.